Wednesday 4 November 2009

Project 7 - Objects in Different Positions in the Frame




The brief for this project was to find a subject that is very plain and big, then take about 4 or 5 exposures with the subject in different positions i.e. central, off centre and close to edge or centre.

My chosen subject was a bandstand at a local park. I took the shots just after sundown, so they were long exposures of approximately 30seconds. This brought out the Autumn colours beautifully. Unfortunately, because it was dark, the top of the bandstand was cut off in 2 of the shots. I was using my zoom lens, at its minimum zoom of 70mm to give prominence to the subject.

I ended up with 4 suitable shots in the following placements: Central, off centre, top right corner and bottom left corner.

My preferred image of the set was the one in which the bandstand was placed in the top right corner. The lead in line of the path and the seat in front of the bandstand make this composition work well for me.

My next favourite, in order of preference, was the slightly right off centre version (top). The bandstand has a strong presence in this image, and the Autumnal colours on the tree bough on the left provide a natural frame.

Next was the version where the bandstand was in the bottom left, although the trees and bushes were a distraction, and the lack of lead in lines to the bandstand meant this image didn't quite work.

Finally was the central composition. Arguably this was the most "correct" composition, as I had captured the entire bandstand, including it's roof, but the ubiqutous nature of the subject made this overall quite a dull composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment