Wednesday 30 December 2009

Project 20 : Horizontal & Vertical Lines





















I have enjoyed the "lines" component of "Elements of Design" the most through the course so far. I found no shortage of inspiration for the subjects. I also enjoyed looking through my archives for shots that contained lines as key elements of design. I found the vertical lines more challenging, as it required more thought about the frame (vertical vs horizontal frame) and also the focal length of the lens.
I particularly liked the shot of the snow forest, whereby a horizontal format was used to best display the repeating verticals. I liked the reinforcement of the vertical trees by the pattern of the freshly fallen snow. This shot did not attract much positive critique when posted on a critique website (photosig), as it probably lacked interest in its own right, however I found the scene very pleasing.


Perhaps the most challenging aspect of the project was trying to find a line that wasn't off the standard list of obvious subjects such as tree trunks, horizon etc. One or two of my horizontal lines were slightly more contrived, such as the shot of my son lying down. I still think they contain dominant horizontals, but my husband disagrees. I would like to think this is because my photographer's eye is more developed than his!


























No comments:

Post a Comment