Friday 6 August 2010

Project 62: Researching an Event

Although I plan to put this into action in the future i.e. follow through with actually photographing an event I have researched, I have opted to stick to the project brief for now with a hypothetical plan. This is because I am hoping to apply for assessment in November, which doesn't leave me long to complete the course, and I still have 2 assignments to complete before that, not to mention putting all my work together for assessment.

The event I am researching is Slaley Show, which is due to be held on 14 August 2010. I am unable to attend the event but I expect it will be a fairly typical agricultural show. There is a website dedicated to the event, which I found on Google. This would be invaluable in planning the day. So here's my imaginary event plan.

1. What to pack in the bag

As this event is held in summer daylight hours, a tripod is not required as I anticipate the light being bright enough for handheld shots even at long telephoto zooms. I will increase ISO for shots inside the tents.

I will have my 24-104mm lens as my walkabout lens, but will also take my Sigma 150-500mm lens for extreme close up shots. I will not take my wideangle lens (17-40mm), or any primes, as I want to minimise lens changes on the day.

I will also take a polariser - this will be a handy 2 stop ND filter if the light is very bright, and will also allow for deep blue skies if they are out on the day.

I will take my flashgun along, to use as fill in if required, however I don't anticipate using the flash much on the day.

In case of bad weather, I will also take a golf umbrella to shield the camera & camera bag, as well as a shower cap to put over the camera. I will also take a bin bag to sit on, for low down shots.

2. Permissions

As it's a public event, I don't expect any restrictions on photos, but to be on the safe side I have contacted the organisers several weeks in advance (contact details from the website). They would be delighted to see my photos, and advise that although photography isn't restricted, I should not take any pictures of any children without the permission of the parents. I have offered my photos for free to use on their website if they wish; if they are successful it may generate leads for official work.

3. Timetable

The field opens at 7.30am. I plan to go for a look around the day before, and I may be able to get some shots of them setting up the tents. I will arrive at the field shortly before opening. If it's sunny on the day, this will enable me to get some photos before the sun gets too high in the sky. I will use this time to find the best place for taking photos at all the event rings, based on the direction of the sun, and the placement of any distractions that may spoil shots.

The first event is ponies in the main ring at 9 o clock. By 9 o clock, I need to have my telephoto lens on and be in position to capture the judging.

This is followed by the working hunter judging, in the working hunter ring, at 9.30 and so on throughout the day as detailed on the online timetable until the show closes at 5 o clock.

4. Shots I hope to capture throughout the day and beyond if necessary.

  1. A wide angle shot of the field being set up the day or two before.
  2. Some early morning shots before all the events start at 9 - these will include portraits of volunteers & workers at the stands. Look for attractive colours of products on the stands.
  3. A vertical shot of a rider on a pony, using fill in flash. This should be taken before the 9 o clock pony event starts. Look for catchy colours on the rider's clothing.
  4. Telephoto shots of the judging in the pony ring, and some action shots.
  5. Similar telephoto action shots of all the other events, i.e. show jumping, pet dog show, sheepdog demonstration, terrier racing etc.
  6. Some close up portraits of sheep, alpacas, poultry and any willing handlers. Set focus to single points on the eyes for all animals.
  7. Close up shots inside the craft tents, to include floral art, other crafts etc, using my walkabout lens. Look for colour, abstract patterns & strong shapes or textures.
  8. Some people shots inside the bar, including some group shots of particularly cheerful looking people. Walkabout lens again.
  9. Telephoto candid shots of the silver band and Irish dancers, using widest aperture on the long zoom to blur the background.
  10. Trophy presentations are at 4 o' clock - aim to catch as many shots as possible of the trophies being presented i.e. need a fast shutter speed, maybe use burst mode. If can't get close, will need telephoto zoom for this.
  11. Finally some shots at the end to close. These could include a discarded programme lying in the grass against an empty field, and shots of the tents being taken down. I'll keep my programme as a prop just in case. I may need to back the next day for those.
This will be a pretty long day, so comfortable shoes are a must, with wellies in the car boot in the event of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment