Sunday 8 August 2010

A Star in the Sky - Thomas Lekfeldt

I viewed these photographs some months ago, and have been unable to revisit them since. I am still haunted by them, as they document my greatest fear. However I have decided to write a blogpost to try and get down some of my thoughts. They are the most powerful images I have ever viewed, and as a sequence they tell a story in a way that words never could. The photographer captures details as they would be captured in your memory, and even months after looking at the pictures I can still recall their details as if I had been there myself. I have flashbacks of the images in my mind, as if they were my own thoughts. I cannot find words to describe the talent of that photographer, and his bravery at capturing something so emotionally raw, and, dare I say it, taboo. Although I would never have the emotional strength to capture a story like that, I hold his work as the highest calibre to strive for when completing a picture narrative.

The images that struck me hardest were:

The first one, where Vibe is receiving her injections. It is very distressing. Placing it first in the sequence gives it greater impact.

The pictures of her back at school and playing with her sister when she is well. The sense of hope & joy is tangible.

The shot of them leaving the hospital after hearing bad news. I keep seeing it in my mind, and if I had been in their position it is what would play out in slow motion in my thoughts.

The image of the family eating dinner while she is in her bed beside them in the kitchen.

Vibe's father choked with tears.

The image of her twin sister playing with her cat at the end. It is so moving.

If you are reading this blog and want to take a look, the website is below, but please be aware that the images are very upsetting, and may be too much to take if you have children and/or are a worrier (I am both).

http://www.thomaslekfeldt.com/portfolio_detail.php?ID_serie=20

No comments:

Post a Comment