Tuesday 30 March 2010

Project 43: A Sunny Day (Through the Day)

I completed this task as the final one in the "natural light" section of the course, as I found the prospect of it quite tedious. I also risked getting "stuck" on the course, due to waiting for a sunny day when it was convenient to devote the whole day to photographing a scene. The other issue that I have is that my house is surrounded by tall trees, meaning it is very difficult to find a sunny spot after 5 o clock, because we are shrouded by trees. Eventually I decided on photographing my bike up against a wall (bikes are very photogenic, although mine is a bit modern so less so) and managed to get a selection of images across the day. The main differences between them was the colour of the light (already covered) and the high contrast in the middle of the day. The latter was the key learning outcome from the project, although it is something I was already aware of. This high contrast can be difficult for outdoor wedding photography, and is where the marmite world of HDR comes in. I do want to try HDR, but have not yet taken the opportunity - it's on my to do list next.

Incidentally, I set the white balance to "daylight" for all of the pictures to try and highlight the color difference. The pictures were taken on a south facing wall.

























































No comments:

Post a Comment