Tuesday 30 March 2010

Project 44: Low Sun



Well, after a bout of "writer's block", this seems to have lifted and all is right with the world. I went out for a walk with the dog this evening, and the beautiful sun played ball and shone brightly right up to the point when it disappeared below the horizon. This gave me the opportunity to catch all the different lighting effects required of the brief, and fully appreciate the dazzling effect of the evening sun. In spring & summer, it can take on an ethereal feel, and this if often when I'm on my way home from work without my camera, or putting the boys to bed. It didn't have that ethereal feeling this evening, but it gave me a flavour of what can be achieved with the right subject in that light. 2 observations struck me:

1. The light changes in seconds, so you have to have your camera at the ready, almost fixed to your eye.
2. The lower it gets, the more profound the effects become, but this is also when it changes most rapidly.

I particularly liked the rim lighting effects, and would love to catch those when photographing my children, although they are not the most cooperative subjects at the moment. Tonight, Ruby was a little star, sitting still while I captured the rim light from different angles, showing the red glow in her fur.

The backlighting pictures gave some interesting effects. I have included some which are clearly underexposed, however the shaft of light on parts of the forest floor was an effect I liked. All I need to do is find a strategically growing toadstool later in the year, and this would come together. Front lighting was the least suitable for this subject matter - it caused the woodland to look too contrasty, and Ruby wasn't particularly flattered by it either as she was scrunching up her eyes. This would be more suitable for a boat/ red brick building/ certain flowers, in my opinion anyway!














No comments:

Post a Comment