Wednesday 9 June 2010

Project 54: Outdoors at Night

With summer solstice in 6 days time, I have decided to postpone this project. I am hoping to complete the course in the summer, but if it takes me beyond August I will come back to this project. Although my previous assignment on colour, and earlier projects (Twilight & Rain) demonstrate that I have some experience of (and hopefully competence in) photographing my local city at night, there are some subjects that I would also like to try.

1. Our main shopping high street at night, ideally approaching Christmas time when there are lots of lights & lots of shoppers. I would like to capture motion blur of the shoppers against the sharp lights of the shops.

2. I would like to capture an industrial scene at night - this may require a trip further afield to Middlesborough, where there is a lot of heavy industry. Alternatively a trip to the North Shields ferry terminal may have some interesting scenes at night.

3. I would also like to capture a night shot using very high iso setting, giving a grainy effect, but obviously where the grain adds to the image rather than spoils it. Some of our old quayside buildings may suit that.

It's ironic that I spent winter complaining about the short days being bad for photography, and now I'm looking forward to the dark nights so I can go out trying some new shots! In the meantime, here is a shot showing my village at rush hour!















Update 9 October 2010 - Well as promised, here's some photos from a recent twilight trip to Newcastle Quayside. Incidentally, I missed the deadline for November assessment!
















No comments:

Post a Comment