Wednesday 23 June 2010

Traffic Jam - Inspired by William Eggleston

Following my earlier post on the work of William Eggleston, I decided to take some inspiration from him and also fill a very boring hour stuck in a traffic jam on the day of the England game in the World Cup (Wednesday 23 June 2010).

It was a very sunny day, giving the contrasty light that often features in his work. It was also apt to take the shots from my car, as I read that a lot of his work was captured whilst he was waiting in a parked car and therefore his subjects were unaware they were photographed. The compositions were loose and unplanned.

I tried to look for interest in the mundane; things that captured the feeling of the hour. They included the England flags flapping from another car, the laughing faces of the couple in the car behind (they were playing paper, scissors, stone to pass the time), the reflection of the glaring sun on the car window whilst the occupant chatted on his mobile, me taking pictures from my car window and the landscape framed by the passenger window, also reflected in the wing mirror. I also set the colours to "vivid", as many of his pictures contain saturated colours. But other than the increased vibrance setting in Lightroom and to block out any number plates, these pictures are straight out of camera.

They are quite different to my usual style, and wouldn't win any competitions, but I am pleased with my captured memories of the day they closed the A69!




2 comments:

  1. Hi, Isabel. And thanks for the comment about the circular polarising filter (this is the only way I could think of to contact you!). I really like your blog - both the content and the layout. Interested to see your postings about William Eggleston and Irving Penn whose London exhibitions I saw earlier this year (I think that I blogged about them). One thing that also struck me was how much more impact these photographs have when seen properly displayed in a gallery (particularly Penn's where the facial features are really striking). Looking forward to seeing the "Exposed: Voyeurism, Surveillance and the Camera" exhibition at the Tate Modern when back in the UK next month (it finishes on 19th Sept).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pleasure Mike, and yes I did see your posts about William Eggleston & Irving Penn. I don't really get the chance to go to London, and I would like to see that Exhibition at the Tate Modern as it sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete