Wednesday 9 June 2010

Project 58: Contrast & Shadow Fill

This project was looking at contrast & shadow fill, using indoor lighting to manipulate the end result. This was a project I was keen to try, as I tend to pull the shutters down when photographers talk about using reflectors. I tend to use the "hit & miss" method of lighting, rather than actual planned manipulation. However, as with all the artificial light projects, I am keen to learn, and chose a subject where even a small difference in contrast would be apparent.

I found the difference between all the examples quite striking. The best shadow fill was achieved by the smooth shiny side of the foil, and the most pleasing shadow fill was achieved with the gold reflector as the extra warming of the light worked well with this subject. I realised after completing the project that an extra reflector to bounce some light onto the eye would have made the image much more satisfying.

The bare flash image also highlighted how this subject did not suit such stark contrast. However, a perusal though any photography book will demonstrate how strong contrast often creates the greatest drama. I have already commented in another post on how William Eggleston used strong contrast in a lot of his shots.

I have included a few of my images taken recently which I feel are stronger because of the strong contrast light. This is either through shape enhancement, shadow play or by making portraits more evocative.












No comments:

Post a Comment