Wednesday 9 June 2010

Project 56: Softening the Light

I used a flashgun for this exercise, as I am keen to learn how to use it properly. Although I have used it to bounce light off the ceiling for interior shots of my family, I haven't yet managed to use it successfully for lighting any other subject directly. I find it far too harsh.

Not the most imaginative subjects used for this project, however good examples to illustrate the principles.

Key findings from hard light (undiffused, naked flash)
  1. Harsh, black, well defined shadows;
  2. Washed out colours (although the apple was boosted in Photoshop as I had overexposed it);
  3. Lots of sharply defined highlights;
  4. Surface texture was more evident with this light as demonstrated by the writing on the bottle.
Key findings from the omnibounce diffuser
  1. Highlights & Shadows were still present, but were definitely softer;
  2. Much aesthetic improvement in the image, and within what I would call acceptable.
Key findings from using bounced flash from a reflective umbrella
  1. This was by far the softest light, giving the most pleasing soft shadows, richest deepest colours and smoothest surfaces. This explains why silver umbrellas are used in all those shopping centre "Have your child's portrait taken professionally" set ups.
However this is as much development of observation as it is being able to diffuse a light. I noticed that the reflective umbrella is reflected in the lid of the bottle - I just though it was the usual highlight until I looked up close. If I get a chance to go back and redo the shot, I will try and use some black card to block that reflection (a GOBO or Go-Between).







No comments:

Post a Comment