Saturday 16 January 2010

Project 23: Implied Lines




















































































I found the last part of this project the most challenging, namely the planning and taking of an image with implied lines. In particular, the eye-line was a challenge because it is difficult to control where a subject will look. This is particularly the case with small children and pets, who are my commonest subjects. In the past, I have typically snapped away over a period of time, and generally a couple of the crop will have strong eye lines as shown in the 2 "archive" images above. Given the season, and my current longer working hours, such photo opportunities are few and far between, so I decided to take this image where I knew my son would be concentrating.

For the line that points, I chose a local disused church. Despite it being unused, and having no lights, when I went inside there were 3 candles alight at the Alter. Coupled with the stained glass window above, the aisle of the church naturally leads the eye up to the alter and the light i.e. it points to the light. There are other areas of interest in the photo, but they hold much less attention. This was a long exposure of 30s, which unfortunately caused the stained glass windows to burn out.





No comments:

Post a Comment