Saturday 16 January 2010

Project 24: Shapes



This project required 2 objects, photographed in a way that enhances their shape. I ended up with 3 images as follows:

1. An image of a strongly coloured, dark subject, silhouetted against a bright white background.
2. A transparent subject, only visible by virtue of its outline, backlit against a white background.
3. A high contrast scenario, whereby the subject is lit against a dark background. The latter was achieved by using a torch to light the subject in a darkened room.

Of the 3 images, I found the first one to be the weakest, probably by virtue of its rather bland shape and single colour. I liked the wine glass the best, although this is an image taken many times and a typical stock shot. The most interesting was the 3rd example, whereby the old rustic bottle was pictured in an interesting way by painting with torchlight. I then used colour to give the image more effect in a triptych.

I would like to try this out using more natural examples rather than set ups at home, using natural light as a contrast. In particular, I would like to take a wildlife shot using backlighting; this is something I have not yet achieved, but often delivers great drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment