Saturday 16 January 2010

Project 26: Real & Implied Triangles






What struck me when looking through "The Photograph" by Graham Clarke was how often triangles are used in design, particularly when the main subject is human. Contrast this with how few contained a single point (although they were much commoner in wildlife compositions). I especially liked the composition on p 135 (Untitled illustration from Picture Post 1950s, Anonymous). The triangle composition is also very strong in "Nude" by Edward Weston. I don't particularly like Nude photography, but I did flag this image up as an exception earlier in my blog. It is now clear to me that the composition, and the use of a triangle in design, is what drew it to me initially, along with the subtlety of the subject.

Of all the photos taken for this project, I was most disappointed with the first photo shown, whereby the convergence is downwards with the apex of the triangle at the bottom. The only way I could conceive to create this particular shot was by taking a photo from a height. However using a building as a subject meant finding the right viewpoint without compromising my own safety was quite difficult. I did manage to capture the convergence, however the effect is not as dynamic and strong as the other 2 shots whereby the convergence was upwards, created by a low and wide view. A taller building with a viewing platform would have been easier, but there are not many of those in the North East.

No comments:

Post a Comment