Saturday 16 January 2010

Project 27: Real & Implied Circles




As I still have a dislike of taking still life arrangements, I was pleased that I managed to achieve this project through natural situations. The full moon dominates the image by virtue of being the only subject against a black background, but also holds interest as I think we are naturally drawn to look and wonder at the moon. This is a real circle, and I also considered that the swan was a real circle, although it's slightly uneven outline may make it more of an implied circle. Cats curled up in a ball would be similar subjects.

The tunnel shot was a chance shoot through the front (very dirty) window of a Metro Train - I took several such shots but this one had the strongest implied circle.

Looking through "The Photograph", I did not find any real circles like those included in the notes (such as with the plate of food). I also found it difficult to find many examples of implied circles, other than perhaps certain full face portraits where the face was round. The most striking example of an implied circle was "Mes Voeux" by Annette Messager, which has been deliberately created. Another less obvious example is "Fruit" by Roger Fenton. It didn't strike me at first, but another look showed the bold outline of the grapes , pineapple and smaller fruits form an approximate circle.

It was interesting that the study notes state that circles are much less easy to find (than triangles) and were therefore less useful in photography, although when found they are the tightest, most compact and enclosing of any shape. I am doing all the "shape" projects concurrently, and yet I managed to complete the circles project first, despite them being more elusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment